September 2, 2010
On 18 September 2010, the Old Buncombe County Genealogical Society will hold its annual Fall Genealogy Workshop at the Simpson Lecture Hall on the AB Tech Campus in Asheville, NC, from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. This year’s theme is Family History in Your Pajamas: Genealogy on the Internet. The cost is $20 per person, which includes lunch and a set of handouts. To guarantee lunch and handout availability, please register in advance.
For more information, see the workshop’s registration page.
September 20, 2009
Yesterday, I was priviliged to be able to attend the Old Buncombe County Genealogical Society‘s annual Fall workshop. This year’s speakers were archivists and librarians from Western North Carolina colleges and universities, with one speaker who holds an archivist position at both a college and a private high school. Each shared information on his or her institute’s genealogical and historical holdings, particularly within the Special Collections. The speakers and their respective school were as follows:
1. Dr. Karen Paar, Mars Hill College, Mars Hill, Madison Co., NC
2. Dr. Helen Wykle, University of North Carolina, Asheville, Asheville, Buncombe Co., NC
3. Kathy Staley, Appalachian State University, Boone, Watauga Co., NC
4. Diana R. Sanderson, Warren Wilson College and Asheville School, Asheville
5. George Frizzell, Western Carolina University, Cullowhee, Jackson Co., NC
The collections described were remarkable; I will be making future posts on each institute.
The workshop itself was well-organized, and well-attended by a good group of researchers. It was held in the current OBCGS library, located on 128 Bingham Road in Asheville. Topics for next year’s workshop are now being considered, and I look forward to attending it next September.